265 Running Miles in Races in 3 consecutive weekends!

 Part 1 - Introduction


I never planned or anticipated running ultras for 3 consecutive weekends, 2 of which went 100 or more miles. I strongly don't recommend this, but I learned more about myself and the human spirit than I ever expected. I hope those of you that are reading this find something beneficial. I sincerely appreciate all the support and encouragement. I wouldn't have found the strength to persevere through these trials without your encouragement and kind words. 


The plan started with the MAD Backyard Ultra on Jan. 21, 2023. My goal was to follow up on my win at Little Dog and attempt to earn a spot in the Ohio Backyard Ultra in March. This year doesn't have any automatic qualifiers into Big's Backyard Ultra, but getting in a Silver Ticket Race is prestigious and provides an outside shot of qualifying at-large for the World Championships in October. Next, I was thrilled to be accepted as a brand ambassador for Run Bum Races. I was fortunate enough to get into the Forgotten Florida 100 race on February 4-5, 2023. Finally, I had a couple friends from my Track Workout Group reach out and join them for Mountain Mist 50k and participate in a cities competition, representing Team Chattanooga. I never had the opportunity to run as part of a team, and was thrilled and honored at the opportunity, so I jumped at running that race between the other 2 races on January 28, 2023. 


Race Schedule: 

1/21: MAD Backyard Ultra (Last Man Standing) 

1/28: Mountain Mist 50k 

2/4: Forgotten Florida 100-mile race. 

I had no idea how I was going to do this. I expected to run 250+ miles in races alone in this 3-week stretch. 



Part 2 - MAD Backyard Ultra

I was nervous and anxious leading up to this event. I felt pressure to live up to other people's expectations after winning Little Dog back in October. There were several talented runners that previously ran over 100 miles. I went into the event expecting it would take 200 miles over 2 days to win. My strategy was to conserve as much energy as possible early on and slowly increase the pace throughout the event to maximize sleep and rest in the later stages. It was a risky and unproven strategy. I was caught in the beginning by one of the race officials for being the last person in the corral just seconds before the start (which is a requirement to continue). Little did I know what they would start. FYI: A yard is set up to be 4.167 miles, so that 100 miles can be accomplished in 24 hours. 


I had tightness in my legs from the beginning, preventing me from being able to go at my desired pace of 12:00 minutes per mile. I made a decision on the fly to hang out in the back and run/walk until that got sorted out. I would run/jog at a 10:00 minute pace for 1/4 mile and then walk 5 minutes which would complete each yard in around 53 minutes and allow 7 minutes of rest. I finished the yard last for the 1st 6 hours of the event. I made a couple of friends with Todd and CJ from Ohio. They worked together in an airborne tree-cutting business. We quickly got named the trio, because we consistently were the last people to complete each yard. Todd and CJ set personal bests for themselves in distance, and I was happy to help encourage each of them to reach those milestones. I didn't have a crew planned for the 1st 12 hours. I knew the 1st day wasn't going to be an issue, but heading into the night is where the competition begins. As the hours and mileage add up, runners reach uncharted territory in distance duration. Some people have a distance goal targeted, while others are just happy to be a part of the experience. 


Nearly half of the entrants reached the 100k mark (19/42). While many people were happy about this achievement, the atmosphere changed. It is 1 AM now and 15 hours into the event. Several people were optimistic about lasting through the night, however, I was reminded about the issues that faced all of us to survive through the end of the night. We had 6+ hours until dawn, and I remembered seeing everyone drop off quickly during Little Dog. At the start of the 17th yard, I heard someone talk about how good they were feeling. The rain and wind are picking up as the temperature is quickly cooling off. I couldn't help myself and decided to say, "Yards 17-21 is the toughest stretch to survive." I immediately regretted it because I had outed myself as a veteran to the rest of the field. Most people were still unsure of who I was at this stage because I had kept a low profile and remained relatively quiet. With each passing yard, I improved my time by 15-20 seconds, slowly working my way from DFL up to mid-pack inconspicuously. The crew guys I had to help me through the night had the greatest intentions but weren't the most effective. I set up camp so they could keep rain and water out of my area, but they failed to shield off rain from the direction it was coming in. I had to resort to camping out in my friend Max's tent with my stuff still under my canopy and completely flooded. On top of that, they both got drunk and passed out in all the chairs so I became self-sufficient again. 


The majority of people reached their breaking point by 75 miles. 11 people reached that milestone, with only 7 continuing. The atmosphere has changed drastically from optimism to survival. The endgame mindset has begun for everyone remaining. Nobody is under the radar now and we're down to 5 after 20 hours. Dawn is coming and my body is starting to feel better. We all make it to 100 miles, but 1 participant dropped, and the rest of us are hanging on. Thankfully I was able to get a hold of Max, with him and his dad coming out to crew me Sunday. Matthew from East Coast Adventures, which is a great group of runners, started to struggle. He did an amazing job of lasting 26 hours and completing 108.33 miles. This brought us down to the final 3 participants of Melody Diehl, the defending champion Frank Lanno, and myself. My friend Max predicted the final 3 and now the reality of the situation started to set in. 


As Sunday progressed I was completely surprised and floored by the overwhelming support I received throughout the day. It started when my friends from Chattanooga Triathlon Club Wednesday Track Workout group came out in full force to support me. I had a hard time keeping my composure since they came in waves and stayed for a couple hours to support and check in. I couldn't hide the smile on my face and was filled with gratitude. After that, I had numerous friends stop in throughout the day at camp and even a couple people drove by and shouted their support, which was amazing. I battled some stomach issues but was able to manage them cautiously by stopping as needed to use the facilities. As Sunday progressed, I could see Frank was struggling. He had a spot in Ohio, which the winner would earn, and he was using this as a training run. He was great to talk to in the later yards, but ultimately he bowed out after 29 yards. This meant that we were down to 2, Melody and me. 


Melody is an incredible woman and an absolute badass. She has done numerous 100-mile races and even the Tahoe 200, so I don't expect this to end anytime soon. I am sky high with adrenaline and encouragement, but know once this heads into night 2, that I will once again be on my own. Melody and I remain rock steady, listening to our bodies and adjusting accordingly. We begin talking and strategizing to work together for night 2. The morale and support of the staff and our respective crews are dwindling, as expected, so I asked the question if she was more interested in winning or going further. We both agreed to go as far as we could and let everything fall into place. My body still cannot run at a 12:00 pace, but I am consistently able to go at a 10:30 pace comfortably with occasional walk breaks to catch my breath. 


On the 32nd yard, I am starting to feel fatigued but we're still in good spirits. The 2nd night is closing in on us quickly. Melody and I start the yard by talking and moving for the 1st couple minutes and I begin to take off as my legs begin to loosen up again. I complete the 1st half on pace, but I don't see Melody right behind in toe. I don't think much of it and continue on my way just assuming she will make the cutoff in time. As I begin the 2nd lap around Camp Jordan, I start to get harassed by a man who is drunk and wants me to partake in his liquor. I deny his request multiple times being harassed. I try to get away from him as quickly as possible, but he starts following me and I get a bit concerned. Thankfully after 2 minutes or so, he is nowhere in sight, so I take a moment to compose myself and continue on my way. 


With a mile to go on the 32nd yard, my watch died, which I chuckle at. I just relax and cruise along the trail back to the finish. As I cross the road, I have about a 1/4 mile to go to complete the yard. I sensed a different energy from the group I see in the distance near the start/finish line. I hear a faint voice in the distance, "Kyle's coming!" and before I know it I hear Queen blasting in the background, "We Are The Champions" is playing. I am in disbelief and trying not to cry as I realize what is going on. My heart immediately broke for Melody because I realized something catastrophic must have happened. We talked and strategized at the beginning of the yard so we could go 200 miles in 48 hours. I crossed the finish line with 12:30 remaining and the 1st thing I do is give Melody a hug and congratulate her for the amazing effort she put in. She officially completed 31 yards and 129 miles (with an additional 2 that didn't count). I remember that pain from Elsie in February of 2022. She did a tremendous job and I know I will see her at more Backyard Ultra events. The same goes for Frank as well. I believe all of us are signed up for Ohio Backyard Ultra in March. My 32 yards accumulated to a total of 133.33 miles for the event. 



I cannot thank the Chattanooga Track Club, David Lane, Michelle Sledge, and the rest of the volunteers that made MAD possible (and for dealing with my drunken crew). This was a well ran event and I look forward to running this again in 2024. I am planning to run the Ohio Backyard Ultra starting March 18th, 2023. I am more than willing to work with anyone I know running the event and those I meet along the way. The primary goal is to earn an at-large bid to Big's Backyard Ultra. 



Part 3 - Mountain Mist 50k. 

There wasn't a lot of time to get ready for Mountain Mist. I originally planned to skip this event since I had a 100-mile race the weekend after. My friends at the track workout convinced me to sign up and participate in a battle among the cities. It's very similar to a Cross Country meet where you score points based on finishing position. There were 13 of us in the group, 10 would be selected and the top 7 would score, with the lowest position cumulative total earning the title. My mind and body felt tired, but relaxed leaving me cautiously optimistic heading into the event. 



The morning of the event I found out that I was not selected for the final 10 due to the Backyard Ultra the weekend prior. I wasn't surprised by the decision, but I was a bit disappointed. Nevertheless, I didn't let that affect me in the moments leading up to the race. We all get lined up in the corral and without warning, Sean "Run Bum" Blanton fires a shotgun into the air indicating the race has begun! I was laughing so hard because a couple people were freaked out at the gunshot. 


We all take off from the lodge down the road following the lead truck. After 1.5 miles, it leads into the woods. I see team Chattanooga in positions 1-4 as they follow the quick switchback and run toward us. I give them a quick encouragement before heading onto the trail myself. I get settled in just behind the lead pack of runners. My goal for the day is to remain steady, strong, and consistent throughout the run. I remain in the same position jockeying between runners on various strategies. About 10 miles in, my Chattanooga teammate Adam catches me along with another runner. The 3 of us work together until we hit a highly technical section and I take off quickly. They catch me again when we hit another open area and Adam passes me for good around Mile 16 as I began to feel my left hamstring tighten up. I can noticeably tell something is wrong and I'm now running 30-45 seconds a mile slower and having to navigate the uneven sections but I feel more in control as I start ascending the uphill sections. 


It's great seeing my friends from the Track Club out here being supportive. Sara, Doug, and Ryan from the track workouts are also running. They are close behind me. I briefly got lost at Mile 20 which cost me about 2 minutes or so but didn't end up being too big of a deal. I work my way up the treacherous waterline and climb up to the top using the ropes carefully and strategically. I didn't feel very strong once I got out of there, but I passed 2 other runners that fried through that section, I got confused for a moment when I started seeing runners come from the other direction because I did not experience that last year. 


I still felt okay as I reached the 2nd to last aid station around Mile 25 just before beginning the descent and then ascent of Mckay Hollow. My hamstring has tightened up significantly more than it had before. I have to hike down the steep downhill sections to prevent injury. I struggle mightily to get down to the bottom as I got passed by 2 people. I didn't get discouraged and I started working through the mud and the uphill sections passing 4 people when I reach the top with 1.5 miles remaining. The remaining distance is flat and runnable and I have nothing left in the tank. I got smoked by 2 people running as I ran an 8:30 pace into the finish. I improved drastically from last year's result with a time of 5:10:07 and 15th position. 



I am incredibly drained at the finish line. I am welcomed by my friends and teammates who congratulated me for my performance. The top 4 were from Chattanooga, Nathan, Mac, Kevin, and Bob in that order. Adam finished 9th, and I would have been the 6th finisher for Team Chattanooga had I been selected. Nevertheless, our team was in a good position to still win. Zac was #6, finishing in the 18th position, just 3 minutes behind me. Ryan was the 7th and final runner in 32nd with 5:29. Sara was the 1st female at 5:31 in her 1st ultra. She absolutely crushed and destroyed the course. Very impressive. 



We felt confident that we held onto the team result, but knew the final result would be close. After some calculations, Chattanooga held onto the win by 1 point over Huntsville on their turf. Although my time wasn't used, I finished ahead of 2 Huntsville runners that scored ahead of our last runner, adding 2 points to their total which ultimately was the difference between 1st and 2nd place between the teams. For the winner's prize, we all pulled numbers out of a hat that corresponded to boobie prizes. I ended up winning a 6 pack of Glade plug-in car air fresheners. I attempt to recover, but I am out of my mind. I stick around composing myself congratulating my friends and fellow runners as they finish. I was still out of it after finishing, but it was time to head back. I thoroughly enjoyed the race and the team aspect of the competition and sincerely hope to get the opportunity to participate in this again down the line. I was so out of sorts I ended up leaving my hydration vest at the race!! LMAO!! 


Thank you to all my teammates, especially Nathan Holland for winning Mountain Mist and coordinating all the efforts for Team Chattanooga. Thank you Huntsville Track Club and all the amazing volunteers throughout the course for putting on and making this event possible. Finally, I need to thank Dink Taylor for being a fantastic race director. 


Part 4 - Forgotten Florida 100

The week leading up to this race was brutal. I was struggling to plan and prepare for multiple scenarios since I was running this race unsupported. In addition, I couldn't run most of the week despite stretching and yoga. I felt significant tightness in my left hamstring and was worried that I would have to drop down in distance or not even run the event at all. I went through rehab exercises and stretches from similar injuries and got stretched out to be in the best shape that I could be. Work this week was hectic, in 4 days I worked 40 hours so I put in a full week despite a vacation day. I was still on call during my drive Friday, which wasn't a good thing. 




I had a scheduled 9-hour drive ahead of me, knowing that I was looking to find a replacement Solomon running vest to replace the one I left at Mountain Mist. I timed my drive out perfectly so I could stop at REI when it opened in Atlanta. Fortunately, I was able to buy a hydration vest with bottles and all the missing supplies I forgot to pack. Traffic was difficult to navigate at times, but I was on track to reach my destination reasonably. Traffic slowed down considerably as rush hour approached, and I was delayed significantly and unable to go to packet pickup the night before the race. 


I arrived in Mount Dora in the early evening, but I still had a ton of race preparation to do with my new gear and to prepare my body. I spent the rest of my night getting everything sorted and organized. I felt exhausted, so I called it an early night just eating snacks in the room. The alarm goes off early in the morning, and I still have an hour-long drive to the race. I load the car up and have everything organized and ready to go. There's a huge log jam at the entrance of the park which delays everything by 15 minutes or so and leaves me 20 minutes to check in, get my drop bags organized, and get to the start. I had my 2 drop bags set up, however, the race directors decided they didn't want the 100 milers to go their cars once they reach the start/finish, so a 3rd drop bag was allowed. I scrambled to put that together as quickly as possible and get on the bus with my vest unorganized. I have ample time to get that organize and meditate during the 45-minute bus ride as we ride to the start. 


Once at the start, we're given about 7 minutes to use the facilities (there were none at the bus pick up) and make final preparations. We are lined up in this field as Sean is on a bike counting down the start and everyone goes. I am running just behind the lead pack trying to find what is the most comfortable for my body. After putting up a 7:45 mile pace to start, I realize I need to slow down if I want to finish any distance in this race. I tell myself that dropping at 50 miles is completely acceptable if I need to, but 100 miles is the goal albeit not the most reasonable. 

 


The 1st half of the race was incredibly scenic, with views that I have never seen before. My 1st time in Florida is magical already as this course is amazingly laid out. There are sections of open fields filled with cattle, swamps, marshes, and amazing treelines deep in the Florida Wilderness. About 10 miles in, a woman catches up to me and we're both going at the same pace. Her name is Rebecca and we start having friendly conversations. There would be sections where she would get slightly ahead and I would catch up and vice versa. She was the female leader of the 50-mile race. 


At mile 30, my friend Alli was waiting for me as a Trail Angel making sure I was ready to go. It was great to see and talk to her briefly, but before I know it, it was time to head back into the woods and continue the race. The Devil's swamp faced us shortly after the aid station. It had calf-deep mud and was very difficult to navigate. All you can do is examine the ground and commit to following a line that keeps you on the trail while navigating efficiently. I caught Rebecca in this spot and the 2 of us did a great job working together through it. She was unable to meet her husband at the last aid station but is coordinating to have him meet her at the next one at the end of the swamp. 


Rebecca's husband is waiting for her as we exit the swamp and head out to an out-and-back section that has some standing water in it. The temperature is getting warm with the sun shining brightly down on us. The water honestly feels pretty good at this point. We continue to work together and navigate all the way to the van shuttle to escort us across the interstate highway safely. In the van, there's a man named Kenny and he tells us that we're the best-looking people (physically, state of mind wise)  to have made it to this point so far. That's encouraging since I was still debating about continuing and was leaning towards yes but this sealed it. He also noticed my size 15 shoes and made a point to tell Sean the race director about it. We're all laughing hysterically in the car about it. There are only 1.5 miles to the 50-mile start/finish. I am slightly ahead of Rebecca as we rally into the finish and made sure to take a moment to congratulate her on doing an amazing job on her 1st 50-mile race. She had plenty in the tank since she ran until her watch hit 50 and looked fresh and ready to do more. 



I quickly adjust my focus back on my erratically packed drop bag. Nothing that I want is in there and my car is over a 1/4 mile away. I am running this unsupported, so the volunteers and staff are doing the best they can to help me. I desperately wanted to go to my car, but they tell me that I can't. They didn't say why, but I think they were trying to get me back on the course as quickly as possible. I wanted to reload with fuel, with a new pair of socks and shoes, but that didn't happen. I completely lost my composure as I was battling to not let my anxiety or panic attack not take over, so I eventually settle for good enough and head back out on the course. 



I am in 4th place, approximately 45 minutes out of the lead at this point. I am happy with my status knowing that things could change quickly. The beginning of the 2nd half is very difficult as night begins to settle in. It's 10 miles to the next aid station and twilight is upon us. I focused on staying steady and doing what I could to move forward. I feel a lot better once I reach my drop bag, where I configure my vest keeping everything as light and comfortable as I can. I am making solid time through the runnable trail roads and carefully navigating the rest of the trails. At mile 75, I realize that I made it into 3rd position comfortably (not sure what happened to the 1 runner ahead of me) and I'm only 10 minutes away from the top 2 who are running together. I catch a rush of adrenaline and make it into the aid station at mile 83 only 7 minutes behind in 3rd. I feel strong navigating my way to the final aid station. 



I get to mile 90 and I see someone shining a light in my direction. I assume it's a runner who is at mile 60, but rather I caught Tyler in 2nd place. My mind, legs, and stomach are falling apart quickly. I get in and out of the final aid station as quickly as possible trying to outlast my body. I get about 2 miles or so into the section before things start going wrong. I missed a turn in the open field, thankfully Tyler has caught up to me and we work together to get back on the trail. Not too much longer after that moment, I miss a hairpin 180 turn and continue down the wrong trail for a couple of minutes. I quickly realized the error and turned around, but got back on the trail going in the wrong direction. It took a couple more minutes to realize that mistake and I am exhausted. I walk for a few minutes to regain my composure and recover from double vision and severe lightheadedness. Overall this cost me about 15 minutes and I have totally bonked. I slow down to a shuffle to regain my composure and ensure that I stay on the trail. The next 6 miles are absolutely dreadful. Slow moving, lots of double checking for blazes and tape, and overall mentally and physically over this race. It took 3 weeks of chaos to finally crack. 


All is quickly forgotten when I get off the single track and only have 1.5 miles of flat access road left to the finish. With about a half mile left to go, my phone is ringing endlessly. I rarely keep my phone on me, and there isn't a reason why anyone would be calling me at 2AM EST. It's my sister asking me if I'm ok. I'm very confused and tell her I'm fine. I got lost briefly and totally bonked, but I'm only a couple minutes from the finish. I get off the phone and finish in 3rd place with 19:21. The winner, Maxwell Bennett, had plenty left in the tank winning with an impressive time of 18:18. Tyler from Ontario took 2nd with 18:59. If everything went perfectly, I believe I could have gone sub 19 hours and competed for 2nd position. 


I had absolutely nothing left to give. My entire body was in immense pain. I could not get comfortable or relax sitting or standing. After hanging around at the finish for 45 minutes or so and eating an entire Domino's pizza, I decide it's time to head back to where I'm staying in Mount Dora. I thank everyone for all the help and safely make it back. I get back to where I'm staying at 5AM and take a quick bath. I nap until about 9AM and head out to the art fair happening just a few blocks away. My legs are surprisingly enjoying the walk and I'm blown away by all the various art galleries and exhibits on display. Everyone staying in my house is there for the art show, and Rebecca mentioned it during the race too. 


After spending some time there, I head out to Cape Canaveral to check out the Space Force and the Kennedy Space Center. The rain and wind picked up considerably and I felt bad for all the runners still out on the course. I still had to pick up my drop bag from the start/finish, which is only 20 minutes away. The Space Center is amazing, I wish I had more time and patience to check that out. Maybe next time I head to Florida I will get to spend more time there. I stop at the race as they are shutting everything down and grab my drop bag. I thank Sean, Ash, and the rest of the volunteers for making this event possible, and would love to return next year.






I headed back to Mount Dora to grab some dinner, and most of the city is still shut down. However, I am able to check out this Cuban restaurant that is near the lake with the sunset. The view is absolutely gorgeous, and my phone could not do it justice. After dinner, I get very tired and head back to my place to pack all my things and prepare for a long return trip with a couple of stops. I leave 1st thing in the morning, with my 1st stop at Daytona International Speedway. I idolized this place since I was a kid. I grew up around race cars as a child, and being around racetracks helping my dad for 25 years made this a dream come true. I get to climb the bank, see the victory lane, touch the start/finish line, and visit the International Motorsports Hall of Fame. 


My next stop is at Atlantic Beach to stop and talk to Max's dad who was instrumental at MAD Backyard Ultra. I  hope he is able to travel and support more running events. I quickly go to the beach and put my feet in the Atlantic Ocean. Time is moving quickly, and Jacksonville is shut down, so I plan to drive up the coastline to Savannah. I realize that we are driving past Brunswick, GA where Ahmaud Arbery was tracked down, shot, and killed while he was out for a run just for being black on February 23, 2020. It's a tragic story. The city of Brunswick named a park in his honor, so I decided to pull off the highway and run 2.23 miles to honor him around the park. It was one of the hardest runs that I ever did. Yes, my body was sore, but I felt the weight of the situation around me as I put in the time and distance. I completed my goal and continue my drive back home. It was a very long drive, but I did get back safely around 10:30 PM and headed to work the next day. 






A lot of 1sts happened for me on this trip: 

1st Bucee's stop

1st Wawa stop

1st time in Florida

Daytona Beach

Orlando

Space Center 

1st Unsupported 100. 2nd Buckle


Special Thank you to the Run Bum, Sean Blanton for this amazing course and the opportunity to run it. Thank you to all the volunteers and staff at Run Bum who made this race possible. Finally, a special thank you to my friend Stephen for hooking me up with the incredible place to stay in Mount Dora. I could not have done this race without all the amazing support that I received. 



Part 5 - Conclusion

I am extremely grateful for how supportive and great the running community has been to me, especially during this stretch. If you want to go fast, go out alone, but if you want to go far, you have to go together. I want to pour more of my energy and resources into being a better trail ambassador and running enthusiast. I want to help my fellow runners accomplish their goals and accomplish more than they thought possible. If you're interested in learning how to run further, run faster, get more comfortable with trails, or learn how to prepare for an ultra or a long trail run, please let me know. I'm pretty flexible about meeting up and running at whatever pace and distance fit your style. The goal of this is to give back and help others through the sport has completely changed my life. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Pinhoti 100!

Post-Elsie: What Happened Afterwards?